Leader of the Day

 "This is fun!" I thought to myself as I slowly, methodically, kicked steps into the loose gravel of the backside of Johnstone Pass. Behind me was a group of six- the 2024 WildGift fellowship cohort- each placing their feet exactly where I'd placed mine, trusting me to guide them safely to the bottom of the pass where the ground would once again feel solid underneath us. 

Descending Johnstone Pass. 
Photo by Jacinta Gordon.

An exercise in "Leader of the Day", this was just one of the activities I'd need to coordinate and guide, culminating in a feedback session over dinner where I'd learn how the cohort felt about my leadership. Other leaders had made time for mindfulness and meditation sessions, stretch breaks, and songs...but on our last backcountry day, my only mission was getting us to the trailhead in time to meet our ride. There would be no stopping to soak in the sun.

I restrained my enthusiasm and momentum with each step, only to look behind and find I was still bounds ahead of the next in line. I'd slow my pace again, concentrating on the deer tracks we were following and wondering how they felt as they made the same traverse, probably on a much more regular basis. I wanted to travel with the deer, where perhaps I would be the one moving slowly, unsure of my steps. But I continued on, looking back with every other footfall, announcing upcoming obstacles and making sure my group was tight. Without my knowing, it was during this descent that my leadership showed its strength. 

The view from Johnstone Pass.
Photo by Noemi Florea.

The feedback that evening was overwhelmingly positive. Literally. I was overwhelmed. With tears in my eyes, I listened to my cohort thank me and tell me how safe they felt following behind me; that my confidence in the outdoors had shone through without outshining the rest of the group; that I should be proud. Their words surprised me. How could it be that just by doing something I love to do, and sharing that with other people, I could be considered a good leader? Surely there is more nuance to it than that, but this is one of my main reflections from the 3 weeks I spent with WildGift- that sharing knowledge and celebrating nature with others is what compels me to lead. 

WildGift 2024 from left to right: Jacinta Gordon (facilitator), Francie St. Onge (Sun Valley Trekking), Anna Machowicz, Simon Roca, Gabe Tavas, Ellen Oshinsky, Noemi Florea. 

WildGift is a non-profit organization based in Hailey, Idaho that leads backpacking trips and programming aimed at exposing environmental entrepreneurs to new experiences that enhance their leadership skills for the greatest impact. Learn more and apply for their 2025 cohort here


Anna Machowicz is Home Range Wildlife Research's co-founder and Education Director. You can learn more about her WildGift experience or reach out to chat at anna@homerange.org.